Ruling the Roost Winter Salad of Portugese Chicken with Sherry & Grape
Gary from Ruling the Roost loves making his own marinades. This fabulous Portugese marinated chicken is purchased as breast fillets with skin on.
You can either sear the skin and bake. Or chop and fry. Enjoy!
Serves 4 as a main meal.
- 500-600gm Portugese marinated chicken, cubed (or 4 fillets)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4-5 green onions, chopped
- 1 red capsicum sliced into strips
- ¼ cup water
- 1 pack Woolworths or Coles Mesclun.
- 1 bunch grapes, halved
- 1/2 bunch mint leaves, picked
- 125gm feta, cubed or crumbled
- Optional: About 10-20 black pitted olives, halved
- Handful sliced Lucky Nuts Almonds, pine nuts, or chopped macadamias
Flambee / Glaze
- Good splash of sweet or dry sherry
- ¼ cup water
- Half an orange squeezed
- Salt & pepper
- If leaving fillets whole, sear skin side down and finish in the oven or in the pan.
- OR if cubed, add some oil to a hot pan and quickly sear all sides.
- As the chicken cooks in the pan, add the green onions, capsicum and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until all items are cooked. Add water when sizzling to create a little dressing.
- Salad: In the meantime, place the mesclun on a large platter (or individual plates), drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and toss.
- Place the chicken mix on the salad.
- Place pan back on the heat, add the sherry and deglaze the pan or flambe! Add water and orange juice.
- Drizzle the glaze over the salad and sprinkle with grapes, mint leaves, feta and if using…the olives and nuts.
- Eat & enjoy!